The 100 Baby Challenge is a challenge in The Sims community where a female Sim gives birth to 100 babies in as few generations as possible. In the span of a decade, it went from a simple forum idea to one of the most popular challenges in The Sims, inspiring popular YouTubers and huge digital entertainment companies such as BuzzFeed to produce related content. The following lists the rules of every version of the 100 Baby Challenge through the game series.
The Sims 2
On January 29, 2010, AndreaCat of Mod The Sims wrote The Cheesecake Challenge for The Sims 2, the earlier version of the 100 Baby Challenge.
To have a female Sim eat a cheesecake every time she gets pregnant, with the goal of having 100 children in 50 births or less
- Cheating is not allowed.
- The player loses if they go over 50 births, but they may use the Triplets and Quads mod.
- No help with the babies is allowed unless he or she is a teen that was one of the challenge kids.
- After the children are born, they are not allowed to contact their father, unless it is accidental (i.e., a walk-by, or a phone call).
- The same baby daddy is not allowed to be used twice.
- If the household is full and there are teens in it, they must be sent to college.
- The matriarch is not allowed to have the Family aspiration.
- The matriarch's Lifetime Want must be completed.
The Sims 3
In almost a couple years, The Cheesecake Challenge was popularized into the 100 Baby Challenge. On January 5, 2012, Amiisay of Mod The Sims wrote a version of the rules for The Sims 3.
To have 100 babies in as few generations as possible
- The matriarch may only leave the house to complete opportunities and meet men. She may not have a job.
- Infants can be aged up immediately.
- Toddlers can be aged up as soon as they can walk, talk, and use the potty. Otherwise, the player must wait for the game to age them up.
- Children and teens may be aged up once they are A students and the player gets the message about the child reaching the honor roll. Otherwise, the player must wait for the game to age them up.
- Teens may get a part-time job to help out.
- Young adults may be moved out immediately, but they cannot get a full-time job while living in the house.
- Maids can be hired, but the player has to stop them from helping with toddlers (i.e., changing diapers, feeding, etc.).
- The player may not use the apple or watermelon trick to determine the gender of a baby.
- The player may not choose traits for any Sim except the matriarch.
- The last female Sim to be born from the matriarch will continue the challenge.
- The matriarch may not get married while living in the house.
- The matriarch may be moved out as soon as she is an elder to make room, as long as there is another adult Sim in the house.
- If the player manages to not get a girl, the challenge fails.
- The player may not use any cheats except resetsim.
- Once the matriarch has had children with a man, they may not use him again for offspring.
- The matriarch may never hire a babysitter. The player has to wait until the children are old enough to take care of themselves.
- The player may not send the children to boarding school.
The Sims 4
On April 7, 2015, the official rules for The Sims 4 100 Baby Challenge have been published on Google Docs. The anonymous writer updated the rules for every expansion pack release until they retired on November 24, 2018. Later, a Tumblr user reposted the rules on December 29, 2018.
To give birth and raise 100 children in as few generations as possible
- Create a Sim to start out with. She is called the matriarch, a young adult Sim eligible to give birth.
- The matriarch cannot have any other Sims in her household to start out with.
- The matriarch can have any preferred physical appearance and personality traits.
- NOTE: As of Patch 34, Sims are no longer restricted to binary genders. For the sake of clarity, the matriarch and donor will be referenced with varying pronouns in this article. However, the matriarch can have any gender the player prefers, as long as they can get pregnant.
- The matriarch cannot be moved into any lot that costs beyond the §20,000 starter fund.
- The active household can be moved to any lot as long as they can afford it without cheats.
- The active household cannot be merged with another household.
- Lots from the Gallery are allowed as long as the active household can afford them.
- Aging must be turned on for the active household.
- Sim lifespan must be set to normal.
- The player may play other households in the same file, but they must make sure the matriarch's household is not aging.
- Any mods or CC that give the player an unfair advantage over other players are not allowed (e.g. a mod that allows the player to have more than eight Sims in a household).
- Any cheats that give the player an unfair advantage over other players are not allowed. In the case of a glitch or game crash that corrupts the save file, the player is always allowed to use any means necessary to retrieve what was lost.
- The challenge ends as soon as the 100th child is born.
- Any rewards or in-game methods of extending a Sim's lifespan, saving a Sim from death or bringing a Sim back from the dead are not allowed.
- Dead Sims who turned to ghosts cannot be moved back into the active household.
- Babies cannot be aged up until the player gets a notification saying that it is their birthday.
- Toddlers can be aged up when they reach level three in all of their toddler skills.
- Children and teens can be aged up after they get an A in school.
- Young adults can be moved out of the house to make room for more children but they cannot be moved back in.
- When the matriarch becomes an elder and can no longer bear children, her youngest daughter takes over as the next matriarch. The player must keep the predecessor in the household until the heir becomes a young adult.
- The player cannot make more room in the house faster by killing off underage Sims or letting babies, toddlers or children be taken by social services. Moreover, a child born into the household will not count towards the 100 baby count unless they age up to a young adult.
- The matriarch cannot join any career track that requires the Sim to leave the lot because she needs to focus on her children. However, teenagers in the household may join a part-time job to help bring extra income.
- Hiring NPC's is allowed, except caterers which can be used to get the matriarch out of feeding their own children and nannies which can be used to get the matriarch out of taking care of children's needs.
- The matriarch may not get engaged or married while she is of child-bearing age.
- The matriarch may not get pregnant by the same donor twice.
- None of the donors can move into the household or provide any aid in taking care of the children. Using the child support feature in deaderpool's MC Command Center mod is not allowed.
- While the player can adopt children without penalty, adopted children are negligible towards the baby count.
- Patch 17 introduced the ability to influence the gender of unborn babies. The matriarch is not allowed to influence the gender of her baby in any way (e.g. eating strawberries and carrots and listening to alternative and pop music).
- Children's traits and aspirations must be randomized and cannot be picked.
Additional expansion pack rules
The following lists the additional rules for expansion packs. This is only applicable if the expansion pack in question is installed.
- If the player is moving into a lot without any lot traits, the player may choose the traits, but they cannot be changed after. If the player moves into a lot that already has at least one lot trait assigned to it, the player cannot add or change them.
- If the matriarch joins semi-active careers, she must always choose to work from home.
- The matriarch may have her own pets, although each pet will take up one household slot.
- The matriarch can go on vacations but she must always bring her entire household with her when she goes.
- If the player has the Parenthood pack, teens must have at least one character value within trait range (either positive or negative).
- The matriarch must always stop what she is doing to discipline the toddlers' or children's bad behavior.
- The matriarch must always choose one of the available options on the teaching moment prompt.
- The matriarch may use the wishing well, but she cannot wish for a child.
- The matriarch may hire a butler only if deaderpools's MC Command Center mod is installed, so the player can disable child care in the butler options.
Occult rules (optional)
The following lists additional optional rules for occult Sims.
- Any occult children and teenagers in the household must be in their normal Sim disguise when they leave the lot. If a non-occult townie discovers that one of the active household's Sims is an occult, their memory must be wiped immediately. Furthermore, all the members of the active household is no longer allowed to interact with the Sim in question.
- Each occult or hybrid occult child born to the matriarch adds two to the player total child count.
- If the player chooses the heir to be an alien or a hybrid, the player forfeits the two-child-count bonus.
- Not So Berry Challenge
- Kelsey's Not So Berry Challenge
- List of custom content used by KelseyDangerous
- Discuss everything about the 100 Baby Challenge
- List of houses catered for the challenge from The Sims 4 Gallery
- 100 Baby Challenge terminology
- 100 Pet Challenge
- 100 Baby Challenge LP
Notes and references
- [AndreaCat]. (2010, January 29). The Cheesecake Challenge?. [Online forum post]. Mod The Sims. Retrieved from https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=388987
- Eating a cheesecake in The Sims 2 prevents the likely chance of having a solo birth.
- The Triplets and Quads mod is a mod in The Sims 2 which allows the player to have triplets and quadruplets, since having twins is the only allowed type of multiple birth in-game.
- [Amiisay]. (2012, January 5). 100 Baby Challenge. [Online forum post]. Mod The Sims. Retrieved from https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=465479
- Official The Sims 4 100 Baby Challenge. (2018, November 24). Google Docs. Retrieved from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z7DJgxbyViBnE93PEnBHk6iGSjbWOfoit9xiYPMNM6Q/edit
- The witch's lair. (2018, December 29). I hate to be bitchy about this but... [Tumblr post]. Retrieved from https://snarky-sims-witch.tumblr.com/post/181535303038/tos-i-am-the-original-writer-of-the-sims-4-version